Saturday 23 August 2014

Nayll - Make Your Own Polish - Part 1

Hi Goddesses



A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to be contacted by Sara from Nayll, asking me if I would like to road test some of her “make your own”polishes.  I had seen other reviews and was intrigued, so said yes, but I didn’t expect to be as wowed as I was.



This is the first of a couple of posts, because there’s just so much to talk about.  Basically, you go to the Nayll website HERE, choose a base for your polish and then add either shimmers or glitters to create your chosen polishbomb.  Not only that, you then get to name it – Suzi eat your heart out!



Before I talk about the polishes, I want to talk about Nayll as an experience.  “Making” my polishes was soooooo exciting and so fun.  Sara offers gift certificates and for me, it’s a brilliant gift for girls of all ages, from the young to the budding frankeners or wannabe indie-makers amongst us “adults”.  It's like the grown up's equivalent of a sweetie shop. Not only that, the product is "5 Free" and is vegan and cruelty free! 




The polishes arrived super quickly – no difference really to normal mailing time – and the label with MY polish name on looked super professional.  Honestly, I couldn’t have been more impressed.  Granted, my artistic ahem .. choices weren’t always spot-on, but it was still great, and Sara is now looking to help educate us in the finer points of polish mixing through her blog.



So, what did I make?  Well I made 2 shimmers and 3 glitters and also got to review the Holo top coat and the glitter top coat.  Today I have the shimmers and holo top coat for you.






First up is Carmen Miranda.  This is a fire-vibrant orange, and also a lesson in what happens when you mix shimmers!  The base of this was actually Red Raspberry and then I added a Tangerine shimmer and a California Gold shimmer.





I love the finished result – it’s insanely cheerful and glowy – but it’s not what I set out to create. However, being addictive, it would keep me going back lol.

  
And here it is with the Holy Holo Top Coat.
  





My second jelly was Violetta which started out with a Lilac Purple jelly base, and was much cooler in tone.  I added a Dark Red Clay Shimmer to bring warmth to the polish – and succeeded, a little too well!




 

For me, this changed the colour of the polish too much, and warmed the entire bottle, rather than keeping the polish cool, but with a warm shimmer.  Who knew making polishes was so complex!  That said, I am kind of entranced by this colour – it’s very different.




Finally, here it is with Holy Holo Top Coat.



Both of these polishes were a little thick to apply, but not unmanageably so, and I think next time, I will definitely add a droplet of thinner to Violetta.



Check back tomorrow to see the 3 glitters I created :)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips